Thursday, October 6, 2016

New Beginnings

The Singhs are officially moving.

Well some of us already have moved.

How about I start from the beginning.

D and I have long talked about moving to be closer to her family. We've always wanted our kids to grow up with their cousins and to be around for regular family events instead of having to drive into Austin on a weekly basis.

This past summer we also realized that we needed help. Between traveling for surgeries and managing therapies, new schools, doctors appointments etc...we came to the conclusion that being here in College Station wasn't sustainable long term, and we decided that over the next year or so we'd start making steps to move to the Austin area.

Well shortly after making that decision, a fantastic opportunity presented itself for Danielle...she applied to be the City Engineer of Hutto (a great promotion for her) and within the course of three weeks she had applied, interviewed, and been selected for the position. She started the position last week.

So that kind of accelerated my job search process...but fortunately enough I came upon a wonderful opportunity at A&M-Central Texas as the Director of Access and Inclusion. And within that same kind of three week phase I interviewed and was offered the position.

So shortly thereafter we started the process of packing up. We wanted to get the kids in school ASAP so that they could adjust to their new routine, so as I type this D and the kids are already in Jarrell (D's parents have been super gracious to let us live with them until our house sells) in school and everything. Vincent is in a great private school (same private school that D, her sisters, her mom, and grandfather went to), Gommy is in an all day (!!!! no more child care worries!!!!) PPCD classroom and diya is in a great little daycare close to her mom's work.

I start my position on November 2 and my last day at Texas A&M College Station will be October 28.

D and I have spent the majority of our adult lives in College Station. We met in this town (at La Bodega which sadly no longer exists) Our three children were born in this town. I came to A&M as a 24 year old kid with a full head of hair...and 12 years later here we are.

By no means is this easy. We're not even 100% in Austin and we are already missing College Station...the people, our jobs...everything. We know that this move is the right one....and one that is the best for our family, but that doesn't mean that it's at all easy. But over the course of the month I keep thinking about something that I've heard attributed to Winnie the Pooh (and then later found out that Pooh didn't actually say it but just go with me here)...



That's the lens that we choose to use to look at this. D and I have been so blessed to have spent the past 10+ years in this town working with and being friends with some of the most caring and loving people that we will ever meet. For me personally, I may have been raised in Houston, but I grew up in College Station.

This town has been really good to us. And we're sad to leave. But we are leaving with confidence knowing that we are doing the right thing by our family. And that, to us, is the single most important factor in any decision that we will ever make.

So Gig'Em and God Bless, Aggieland. The Singhs will forever be grateful to you.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, bittersweet I'm sure. But Austin is a great place. We lived in Wells Branch and loved the community feel with parks and a great library. Good luck as you continue in this transition and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ���� Best of luck, Singhs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Need new update! Need new update!

    ReplyDelete